Friday, February 21, 2014

The nine year old that refuses to lose.

How many people out there have little sisters? I have a nine year old sister myself and she is not the most graceful loser. When I say "not a graceful loser" I mean she will do what she has to do to win. Especially with my brother and I. Here is an example. Today I was playing air hockey with her and like a good older brother I was making it fun, looking the other way on purpose so she could sneak a few cheap goals in. The score was tied when I realized "Oh no! I almost forgot to post my blog for EDU 542, my favorite class!" I quickly asked my sister "Is it okay if we made a rule that the next goal wins? I have homework to do." She gave me an evil stare, unhappy that playtime was going to be cut short, but agreed with the new rule. After minutes of intense air hockey, I snuck a goal in and threw my hands in the air victoriously and shouted "Yes! I am the winner!" My sister shook her head in embarrassment for being related to such a dork and said "Thomas, can we play the NEXT person who scores a goal wins? Please?" knowing full well I would say yes to such an adorable request. We began playing again and after two minutes of intense air hockey she slapped the puck past my blocker and scored. "Did you see that?! That was awesome!" she said victoriously and began walking away. "Wait," I said standing by the table still. "Can we play the NEXT person scores a goal wins? For real this time?" I continued. "Nope, I just won," she said quickly and ran off before I could convince her otherwise. Well played, little one. Well played.

Vocabulary:
1. Graceful: to move smoothly, without falling or stumbling
2. Intense: Very tense and stressful
3. Victoriously: feeling like you won
4. Embarrassment: feeling ashamed
5. Adorable: cute
6. Quickly: fast
7. Request: to ask for something
8. Well-played: phrase to describe a good job
9. Evil: mean or scary
10: Stare: to look at something or someone for a long time

Grammar point:
When do we use a period, an exclamation point and a question mark.

We use a period (.) at the end of general statement or sentences.
We use exclamation marks (!) when we are excited or our voice rises.
We use a question mark (?) when we are asking a question.

Activity:
Pick the proper symbol at the end of each statement.

1. He calmly walked across the street (.) or (?)
2. Are you going home (!) or (?)
3. We won the championship (!) or (.)
4. Is it time for lunch (?) or (.)
5. I am doing homework (.) or (?)
6. I got a new puppy (?)  or (!)

1 comment:

  1. I loved your blog entry. I have a younger sister as well and I feel your pain! Students love to hear about their teachers' personal lives which serves as a great motivational tool.

    ReplyDelete